Adoration of the Magi by Fra Angelico is a tondo, or circular painting, dating from the mid-15th century. It is believed to have been a collaboration between Fra Angelico and his colleague Filippo Lippi, with contributions from a number of hands. It has sometimes been called the Washington Tondo due to its location in the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C..
The painting is believed to have been commissioned by a member of the Medici family in Florence, and was inherited by Lorenzo de' Medici in 1492. It features a star that guided the Three Kings, suggested by a man's amazed upward gaze, and the many seeds of the pomegranate held by the infant refer to the Church’s sheltering of believers. The painting also includes a large procession of retinues arriving through an arch that is part of a large ruined structure.
Fra Angelico was known for his great monastic devotion and saintly deportment, which is mirrored in this artwork. Filippo Lippi was among the first Italian painters to be influenced by Netherlandish artists, whose paintings were brought south by Italian bankers and merchants with business in the north.