The Church of the Irish Martyrs was opened on 18 April 1909. Among the early Catholic settlers in the area were Irish gold-miners and it was their influence that led to the new church being dedicated to the Irish Martyrs. The church is located in the Sligo Street directly oppsite the parish house.

Its tall steeple is strikingly visible across the water to traffic approaching from the Cromwell Gorge.

This image is in the public domain.
Image Source

Please Subscribe or Donate to Help Keep This Site Free!

Share this post