This sculpture originally stood high on the choir screen of Strasbourg Cathedral. Its place of honor near the center was marked by a canopy with angels holding a crown over the Virgin’s head. A rosebush stood next to Mary and the now-missing Child, linking Mary with Isaiah’s prophecy about the coming of the Messiah: "And there shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse, and a flower shall rise up out of his root." The choir screen was removed in 1682, as part of a wider effort to allow the faithful to see the altar.
This image is in the public domain.