Pope Pius XII established the Diocese of Youngstown on May 15, 1943, Bishop James A. McFadden chose St. Columba as cathedral of the new diocese. The parish opened a new school to the rear of the cathedral in 1952. Two years later, on September 2 a disastrous fire destroyed the cathedral. The diocese selected Diehl and Diehl Architects of Detroit to design the new cathedral in the Modern architectural style. Charles Shutrump and Sons Company of Youngstown was the contractor. The new cathedral was completed in 1958 and it became the fourth structure to house the parish. An 11 feet (3.4 m) statue of St. Columba by Joseph M. DiLauro of Detroit occupies a space at the southwest corner of the entrance. It is sculpted from four blocks of Mankato stone.

Free Downloads Below

Hi-Res

1200px

800px

Please Subscribe or Donate to Help Keep This Site Free!