Our Lady of Perpetual Help Byzantine Catholic Church was established by +Most Reverend Michael Dudick, D.D. on October 1, 1989 to serve the spiritual needs of Byzantine Catholics in the southeastern part of Virginia and the northeastern part of North Carolina. It was the first parish for Eastern Rite Catholics in the Hampton Roads area. Fr. Edward Cimbala, pastor of Ascension of Our Lord Byzantine Catholic Church in Williamsburg, VA, was appointed as first pastor. The fledgling parish celebrated its first Divine Liturgy in the Eucharistic Chapel of St. Gregory the Great Roman Catholic Church in Virginia Beach. Liturgies were also celebrated in St. Francis Episcopal Church until the parish was able to move into their own church in November of 1990. The church building was constructed in 1913 by the Amish Mennonites and used by them until they sold it to the Virginia Beach Alliance Church in 1989. The building was sold to the Eparchy of Passaic on November 12, 1990 and the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated on November 21, 1990. The building was formally dedicated by +Bishop Michael Dudick on November 16, 1991.
You might also like