Catholicism in Greenwood, SC began in 1913 in the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Turner. In 1920, the Knights of Columbus (Fort Jackson) donated a small facility, named "Our Lady of Perpetual Help." A Gothic style structure on the corner of Grace and Durst Ave. was completed and dedicated November 1, 1926. The building was named "Our Lady of Lourdes." It was here that the reputation grew in the community for the outdoor Nativity scene. in 1946, Our Lady of Lourdes became an official parish, with Fr. William Doyle serving as priest.
Free Downloads Below
IMG_5159 flickr photo by Fr James Bradley shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license
"IMG_5159" flickr photo by Fr James Bradley https://flickr.com/photos/jamesbradley/31166049986 shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license